Can openers have evolved long way since the first one appeared, back in 1858, and nowadays they are an essential item for everyone’s kitchen.
Of course, you can open a can without it as well, but it is riskier, more difficult and more time consuming. No matter how you decide to open the can, you should clean it beforehand. If they are dirty, that can easily enter into the food and contaminate it.
Main things that a good can opener will do is that it will be able to navigate through all type of cans and tins – oval, round, rectangular etc., it will cut through metal, it will be effective, practical and durable. The price of the can openers ranges from around $5 to $50.
Electric can opener or manual can opener?
Do not have one in the kitchen and need to decide? Then you should know you can choose between the manual can openers and the electric ones. Already have one but is old, has failed you or you just simply want to replace it with a faster, easier to use one? The below will serve you see what are the things you need to take into account.
When purchasing a good manual can opener, you should make sure you pay attention that the blades are from stainless steel which will make then resists the proof of time; it has comfortable handles; it comes with safety practical features; it is easy to use even for the smaller hands; it can be cleaned easily and you can also take into account the size, so that it will fit into the kitchen drawers. The manual can opener is a good choice for those households that do not open cans on a daily basis.
However, if you get the ingredients you use for the food mainly from cans, you can think about purchasing one of the electronic can openers. An electronic one should also have stainless steel blades; it should be of a good size to be able to open the largest of the cans you use; it should come with a lid magnet that is made to prevent the lid falling into the can after being cut; it should have a smooth performance that will cut a lid in a single 360 degrees’ rotation; have speed; be easy to use and to clean and last but not least, come in a space-saving design.
Best manual can openers
A manual can opener can be taken in camping trips, on hiking and at different outdoor activities. It is just perfect for low volume of cans.
- EZ-Duz-It is very secure for people to use and cuts the cans lids with ease. The knob can be turned easier than at any other can openers. While it is rather heavy, the weight is well balanced. It is suitable for any size of the tin. It is believed to be the best durable one and it has the best cutting power.
- Made in USA Can Opener is the American classic. It exists since 1954. To use it you should press the cutting blade on the top of the lip, hold the handle pads and turn the crank after a rotation is almost completed. Take one of those butter knives around the house and flip the lid up. After using it you can clean it with hot water or vinegar. It is appreciated for its durability and efficiency. There is one cons to it – that it leaves sharp edges.
- The OXO SteeL Can Opener is an easy to use and it is made of sleek stainless steel. It comes with a built-in bottle opener cap and the cutting wheels are very well sharpened. While it has an ergonomic design it is not the best one of its kind. The reason is that the metal coverings of the handle slides down. There are many reviews for its durability over time and comfort in your hands, while the cons side of it is the fact that it is quite hard to clean and the handle may slide.
- Kuhn Auto Safety Master Opener is good for all sorts of can styles and this will keep your kitchen tools to a minimum. Being a side cutter – just like the Hamilton Beach model, it does not come into contact with the content of the can. To use it you have to place it on the top of the can with the two half circles lined with the can’s rim, twist the knob, now it will grip the lid and cut. Then you have to remove the top of the can using the mini pliers push button. It is dishwasher safe. An important cons is that the knob is kind of hard to turn.
- Bartelli Soft Edge 3-in-1 Ambidextrous Safety is a perfect addition for those kitchens where both lefties and righties exist. The large thumbwheel it comes with is easy to turn. It has a quite small design and comes at a price of $13.
- Good Cook Classic Safe Cut Can is nicely designed and at the same time its cutting wheels are so well put that they cannot come into contact with the food. Due to its heavy duty material it can cut through bigger cans, despite it being rather small. It is durable, small, easy and portable.
- Zyliss Manual Opener Lock N’ Lift seems to have everything figured out. It comes with a kind of pair of pliers and this makes it usable without any squeezing motion. It gets locked into place with the help of the magnet once fitted on the can, so you do not have to worry about slipping off and when the lid is cut, the magnet holds it, so that it does not fall down; and it requires little to no effort to handle it.
Best electric can openers
While you could see some of the best manual can openers above, let’s look at some of the best electric can openers.
- Zyliss Lock N’ Lift Can Opener comes with a lid lifter magnet thus making it one of the few user-friendly can openers on the market. With the help of the magnet that connects to a release lever, your hands will not even touch the lid of a can. It comes with an ergonomic build that gives the needing comfort and efficiency. It should be hand-washed only and cleaned with a soft towel. It comes with the serious recommendation not to be submerged into water as it will lose it’s 5-year warranty.
- The Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Can Opener is a good option for those that struggle with manual can openers. All you have to do is to put the can in contact with the blade and push down the lever. One complete rotation and the lid is removed. Despite of its large size, its futuristic build will prove to be a good addition to your kitchen. It comes with a blade that cuts along the side of the can rather than the top of it.
- Cuisinart CCO-50BKN Deluxe offers convenience, fashion and power; all of this though its black and chrome accents, little to no noise, automatic shut off system once the job is finished and comes with a power cut cable.
- Sokos is an electric portable version that uses batteries. All it takes is one press of the button and it will do its magic. It comes with a build in magnet making this a hands-free process. The plastic body it comes with, offers it a reduced weight and makes it comfortable in your hands.
- Black & Decker Spacemaker Under-the-Cabinet Can Opener is a new discovery as it holds the can by itself, stops automatically when the can is opened and it can be out of sight and well hidden. It comes with an on-board bottle opener, knife sharpener and bag cutter.
- Chef’s Star Smooth Edge Automatic Electric Can Opener comes with top quality features, material and design. It needs four AA batteries and with just a touch of a button, it can open any types and sizes of cans. It is very safe as after cutting the lid the edges will remain smooth and the side cutting system allows you to reseal the can as well. It twists to 360 degrees without you having to do anything to it. It comes in a compact size, making it easy to be stored. The downsize is that if you need it to open many cans a day, this should not be your first choice, as it wears out rather quickly.
Make sure you know what is important for you to have from a can opener and then make the correct choice accordingly. The above models are some of the best, but there are various models out there to come to your needs.